used to (只有过去时形式，没有现在时形式)表示过去习惯动作或状态，这种情况现已不复存在。例如：
He used to smoke a lot, but he has long given upsmoking.
在否定陈述句或否定疑问句中，用didn’t use to或usedn’t to均可
He didn’t use to smoke cigarettes.
He usedn’t to smoke cigarettes.
Didn’t Maria use to be interested in the theatre?
Usedn’t Maria to be interested in the theatre?
Used you to go to the same school as Edward?
Did you use to go to the same school as Edward?
use, apply, avail, employ, utilize
He used up all his resources in experimenting with thenew paint.他为实验新的涂料，花光了一切钱财。
We should not only know the theory but also know how toapply it to practice.我们不仅要知道理论，还要知道怎样把理论应用于实践。
I don’t think complaints will avail you much.我觉得抱怨对你没多大用处。
We avail ourselves of every opportunity to speakEnglish.我们利用一切机会讲英语。
He doesn’t know how to employ his energy and time.他不知道该怎么利用他的精力和时间。
She hopes to utilize her artistic talents in the job.她希望在工作中发挥她的艺术才能。
1. My pain ____ apparent the moment I walked into the room, for the first man I met asked sympathetically: “Are you feeling all right?”
A. must be B. must have been C. had been D. had to be
2. It is only when you nearly lose someone ____ fully conscious of how much you value him.
A. do you become B.then you become
C. that you become D.have youbecome
3. Just as the soil is a part of the earth, ____ the atmosphere.
A. as it is B. so is C. the same as D. and so is
4. While driving along the treacherous road, ____.
A. my right rear tyre blew out
B. my right rear tyre had a blowout
C.I had a blownout on my right rear tyre
D. I had my right rear tyre blowout
5. Jean Wagner’s most enduring contribution to the study of Afro American poetry is his insistence that it ____ in a religious, as well as worldly, frame of reference.
A. is to be analysed B. has been analysed
C. be analysed D. should have been analysed
6.____ there is little we can do to modify the weather, we can at least know what kind of weather to expect.
A. Since B.When C.While D. Unless
7.This organization brought Western artists together in the hope of making more of an impact on the art community ____ any of them could individually and to promote Western art by women.
A. rather than B.rather C. than D. other than
8. But the Swiss discovered long years ago that constant warfare brought them ____suffering and poverty.
A. anything but B. nothing but
C. none other than D. no more than
9. After ____ seemed an endless wait, it was her turn to step into the doctor’s office.
A.it B.that C.what D. which
10. The board deemed it’s urgent that these files ____right away.
A. had to be printed B. should have been printed
C. must be printed D. should be printed
11. His answer was so confused that I could hardly make any ____of it at all.
A. explanation B. meaning C. sense D. interpretation
12. You should have your eyes tested every year in case the ____of your spectacles need changing.
A. lenses B.glasses C.sights D.crystals
13. The school committee hoped that their choice of play would be ______ with the students and their parents.
A. recognized B. popular C. favorable D. fascinated
14. By cutting down trees we ____ the natural home of birds and animals.
A. harm B. hurt C. injure D. damage
15. Mr. Robinson knew that the most trivial chore could prove to be a ____ if approached with enthusiasm.
A. prize B. reward C.refund D. bonus
16. The trade unions in this industry are ____ any reduction in wages.
A. objecting against B. opposedto
C. reacted to D.resistingagainst
17. She was teaching me ____ you would teach a younger child to speak the language.
A. the way B.in the way C. a way D.to the way
18. The Brownings have not ____ yet and I doubt whether they will come.
A turned in B. turned out C.turned up D. turned to
19.We went on a(n) ____ to the mountain yesterday.
A.excursion B.trip C. tour D. travel
20.When Sarah and I ____ on an article for the school newspaper, we found it difficult to work together.
A. compiled B. gathered
C. collaborated D. collected
21.Beth could ____ her coat because it had large red buttons.
A. recognize B.prove C.define D. claim
22.Postal ____ are determined by the class and weight of the parcel mailed.
A. taxes B.payment C. fees D. premium
23.My father is so deaf that he has to use a hearing ____.
A. help B. aid C.support D.tool
24.On New Year’s Eve, there will be a firework ____at People’s Square.
A. display B.performance C. show D. exhibition
25.The ____ of beer and alcohol in New Zealand is very high.
A. consumption B. use C.drink D. absorption