Domestic cattle provide us with milk, beef and hides.
有些集体名词，如foliage,machinery,equipment,furniture,merchandise,通常作不可数名词，随后的动词用单数。例如：All themachinery in the factory is made in China.
集体名词，如audience,committee, class, crew, family, public, government等，既可作单数，也可作复数用。
The city council is meeting to set its agenda.
4)a committee,etc. of +复数名词
如果主语是由“acommittee of /a panel of /a board of +复数名词”构成，随后的动词通常用单数。
A committee of five men and three women is to consider the matter.
tired, exhausted, fatigued, weary, worn-out这组词均含有“疲惫的”的意思。
Henry was so tired that he went to bed immediately after he got home.亨利很疲惫，一到家就上床睡觉去了.
The exhausted engineer fell asleep on the bus.精疲力竭的工程师在公共汽车上睡着了。
He felt fatigued and didn’t want to say a single word.他疲惫不堪，不想说一句话。
After a long and weary wait, the plane finally came to take them back.经过漫长而又令人疲乏的等待后，飞机终于来接他们回去了。
The troops were worn?out after winning the battle.战后,部队疲惫不堪。
1. Although ____ Spanish, he attended the course.
A. he was knowing B. he isknowing
C. having a knowledge of D. knows
2. You ____that letter to James. However, you didn’t.
A. ought to write B. ought tohave written
C. should write D. should bewriting
3. Joseph was very lucky ____ with his life; he almost did not get out of the room.
A. to escape B. to have escaped
C. to escaping D. to be escaping
4. Bread and butter ____liked by Westerners.
A. is B. are C. were D. be
5. The back garden of our house contains a lawn, ____very pleasant to sit on in summer.
A. which is B. which it is C. it is D.where it is
6. He set up in business ____ his own and was very successful.
A. in B.of C.on D. by
7. John’s score on the test is the highest in the class; he ____ last night.
A. must study B. should havestudied
C. must have studied D. is sureto study
8. Frank almost never received any education, ____
A. would he B. did he
C. didn’t he D. wouldn’t he
9.Even if his letter ____ tomorrow, it ____too late to do anything.
A.will arrive...is B.shouldarrive...were
C.arrives...will be D.arrives...wouldbe
10. We can hear____from the back of the room.
A. just as good B.just as easy
C.just as well D.easily aswell
11. To obtain a satisfactory result, one must apply two ____of paint on a clean surface.
A.coats B. levels C.times D. courses
12. The small mountain village was ____ by the snow for more than one month.
A. cut back B.cut out
C.cut off D. cut away
13. Miss Green was ____ $100 for driving after drinking.
A. fined B.charged C.punished D.posed
14. Modern ____ perhaps causes more problems than it solves.
A. technique B.technology
C. tactics D.tendency
15. Mary tiptoed over and took the clock away because she hated to hear it ____when she was trying to go tosleep.
A. sounding B. ringing C. ticking D. humming
16. Under this ____ pressure some of the rocks even became liquid.
A. intensive B.weighty C.intense D.bulky
17. Of course, most immigrants did not get rich overnight, but the ____ of them were eventually able to improve upon their former standard of living.
A. maximum B.minority C. majority D.minimum
18. Nancy was surprised that they have ____. They seemed to be a happy couple.
A. split up B.broken down
C. fallen through D. knocked out
19.The beach is in an ideal ____ to draw tourists.
A. condition B. situation C.state D. publicity
20. Our ____ sensitivity decreases with age. By age 60, most people have lost 40 percent of their ability to smell and 50 percent of their taste buds.
A. sensible B. senseless
C. sensitive D. sensory
21. The eldest child is thoroughly ____ because they always give him whatever he wants
A. wasted B. spoiled
22. If a substance is dissolved in water or heated, it may ____ a gas.
A. give into B. give over
C. give off D. give away
23. His manner was so pleasant that Bolla felt at ____ with him at once.
A. peace B. large C. ease D. best
24. —Can you take the day off tomorrow?
—Well, I’ll have to get ____ from my boss.
A. permission B. permit
C. allowance D. possession
25. The ____ in Janet’s character has hindered her from advancement in her career.
A. weakness B. merit
C. defect D. shortcoming