11. ____ the sight of the police officers,the men ran off.
12. ____ the wall, we decided that weshould need three tins of paint.
A. Making up
B. Doing up
C. Putting up
D. Sizing up
13. ____ the whole, early American cityplanning was excellent.
14. ____ we are having these days!
A. What a lovely weather
B. What lovely weathers
C. What lovely weather
D. What lovely a weather
15. ____, a man who expresses himselfeffectively is sure to succeed more rapidly than a man whose command oflanguage is poor.
A. Other things being equal
B. Were other things equal
C. To be equal to other things
D. Other things to be equal
16. ____, he does not love her.
A. As he likes her very much
B. Though much he likes her
C. Much although he likes her
D. Much though he likes her
17. A drunk man walked in, ____ inappearance.
18. A good many houses ____ knocked down bythe earthquake.
19. A good teacher must know how to ____his ideas.
20. A large part of human activity,particularly in relation to the environment, is ____ conditions or events.
A. in response to
B. in favor of
C. in contrast to
D. in excess of