1. This is so difficult a problem that the scientist is known to on it for about ten years, but hasn’t found a solution yet.
A. have worked B.have been working C. beworking D. work on
2. You sucha long essay; our teacher only asked for 200 words, and you have written 300!
A. mustn’t havewritten B. couldn’t have written
C. needn’t havewritten D. might not as well have written
3. _____ for aches, pains and fever, aspirin is now the subject ofmultiple investigations of its role in treating many more serious complaints.
A. Longused B. Being used long C. Having been long used D. It has longbeen used
4. In no country Britain,it has been said, can one experience four seasons in the course of a singleday.
A. betterthan B. more than C. otherthan D. rather than
5. “What do you suggest I write about, then, to stand a chance nextyear?” “It isn’t so much youwrite as the way youwrite it.”
A.what…that B. what…which C.what…how D.which…that
6. After people have learned that magnets attract things, centuriespassed they took note ofthe fact that magnets sometimes also repel things.
A. before B.until C.after D. since
7. I walked down the corridor, my footsteps frighteningly through the empty deserted building.
A.echoing B.echoed C.toecho D. having echoed
8. Beeris the most popular drink among male drinkers ________ overall consumption issignificantly higher than that of women.
A. that B. what C.which D. whose