1. There is a delicate balance of nature many square miles of ocean andvegetation and clean air are needed to maintain only a relatively few humanbeings.
A. where B. inwhich C.when D. how
2. There are cases newfactories are being put up and beautiful old trees are going to be cut down fora new factory.
A. which B.where C.that D. when
3. Somebody in the next room must be ill, a doctor has just come out.
A.because B.for C. inthat D. as
4. To understand the situation completely requires more thoughtthan thus far.
A. hasgiven B. wasgiven C. beinggiven D. has been given
5. Of great significance the nation-wide movement is the Kampuchean people in theirheroic struggle against the aggression of the Vietnamese.
A. tosupport B. for supporting C. supporting D. of supporting
6. Many farmers came to the city, jobs and for all the otherlegendary opportunities of life in the city.
A. lookingfor B. to look for C.having looked for D.looked for
7. It is requested that an applicant whose undergraduate work isdone at another institution twocopies of undergraduate transcripts and degrees directly to the dean of thegraduate school.
A. mustsend B.send C. are tosend D. need send
8. You her in heroffice last Friday; she’s been out of town for two weeks.
A. needn’t have seen B.might have seen C. must haveseen D. can’t haveseen
9. When we arrived, he found the aged and the sick at home.
A. nonebut B. none other than C.nothing but D. no other than
10. I hope all the precautions against air pollution, are suggested by the local government, will be seriously consideredhere.
A.as B.while C.after D. since
11. Suppose there were a flood or an earthquake and the people couldnot be reached by trains or trucks. packagesof food could be dropped from planes, the people might starve.
A. Until B.Before C.Unless D. If only
12. Mary has long had the desire a famous writer even though the study of writing would require years ofsacrifice on her part.
A. forbecoming B.to become C. ofbecoming D. becoming