1. This is the most important respect civilized man can be distinguished from primitive communities.
A. which B.inwhich C. with which D.that
2. With production steadily, the factory needs an ever-increasing supply of raw materials.
A. having goneup B. goes up
C. goneup D.going up
3. I thought the technician was to blame for the blowing of thefuse, but I see now I was mistaken.
A. how B.that C.where D.why
4. The members of the delegation were glad longer than originally planned.
A. to bestaying B. staying
C. to havestayed D. if they stayed
5. The students were much encouraged a chance to talk with the Americans in English.
A. to get B.gotten C.to have got D. having got
6. When a person is in a happy frame of mind, he may agree on thething that he won’t tolerate when he is not in the rightframe of mind.
A. doing B.to do C. done D. to be done
7. Recently many schools have faced what could be called the crisisof comprehension or, in simple terms, the phenomenon of students with phonicand grammar skills still unableto understand what they read.
A.are B. to be C.being D. have been
8. I thetrain but I overslept that morning.
A. couldcatch B. might catch C.must have caught D.could have caught
9. It is very kind of you to do the washing-up, but you it.
A. mustn’t have done B.wouldn’t have done
C. mightn’t have done D. didn’thave to do
10. Taking more vitamin than the body needs does not make itfunction better over-fulfillingthe oil lamp makes it lighten better.
A. no morethan B.any more than C. not morethan D.much more than
11. Do you have any idea what Jim does all Sunday? He spends as muchtime idling about as he does ____.
A. his study B.studying C.tostudy D. on his study
12. Just as the builder is skilled in the handling of his bricks, the experienced writer in the handling of his words.
A. and sois B. as is C.the sameis D. so is