1. Space exploration promises to open up many new territories forhuman settlement, as well as the harvest ofmineral resources.
A. leadsto B. to leadto C.leading to D. lead to
2. Someday, solar power collected by satellites the earth may give us all the energy we need for an expanding civilization.
A.circled B. tocircle C.circling D.circles
3. In this experiment, they are wakened several times during thenight, and asked to report what they .
A. had just been dreaming B. are just dreaming
C. have just been dreaming D.had just dreamt
4. Her terror was so great somewhere to escape, she would have run for her life.
A. only if B.that there had only been
C. that had there onlybeen D.if there were only
5. Some women a good salary in a job instead of staying home, but they decided not towork for the sake of the family.
A. mustmake B. should have made
C. wouldmake D.could have made
6. A light with no more power than by an ordinary electric light bulb becomes intensely strong as it isconcentrated to a pinpoint-sized beam.
A. as isproduced B. that produced
C. that isproduced D.produced
7. For most people the sea was remote, and with the exception ofearly intercontinental travelers or others who earned a living from the sea,there was little reason to ask many questions about it, let alone what lay beneath the surface.
A. asking B.ask C. toask D. be asked
8. Even if they are on sale, these refrigerators are equal in priceto, if not more expensive than, _____ at the other store.
A.anyone B. theothers C.that D. the ones
9. The atmosphere is as much a part of the earth as its soil and the water of its lakes, rivers and oceans.
A.are B. is C.do D. has
10. From now on, when anyone in our ranks who has done some usefulwork dies, soldier orcook, we should have a funeral ceremony and a memorial meeting in his honor.
A. no matter heis B. whether he has been
C. be he D.whether be he
11. In 1921 Einstein won the Nobel Prize, and was honored in Germany until the rise of Nazism he was driven from Germanybecause he was a Jew.
A. then B.and C.when D.before
12. Physics is the present-day equivalent of used to be called natural philosophy from which most of present-day sciencearose.
A. that B.all C.which D.what