1. He designed the first suspension bridge, which ________ (把美观与功能完美地结合起来).
答案：combined/combines beauty with function in a perfect way/perfectly
2. It was very dark, but Mary seemed to ________ (本能地知道该走哪条路).
答案：know which way to take by instinct/instinctively
3. I don't think it advisable that parents __________ (剥夺孩子们的自由) to spend their spare time as they wish.
解析：因为主句有advisable，跟advise的用法一样，即：从句要用should do表示虚拟(should可以省略）；剥夺：deprive of
答案：(should) deprive children of their freedom
4. Older adults who have a high level of daily activities have more energy and ___________ (与不那么活跃的人相比死亡率要低).
解析：注意and是并列关系，所以后面也需要是比较级；与...相比：compare with/ in comparison with
答案：a lower death rate compared with/in comparison with those less active
5. Your resume should attract a would-be boss's attention by demonstrating ___________ (为什么你是某个特定职位的最佳人选).
答案：why you are the best candidate for a particular position
Passage Twenty-five (Exploration of the Titanic) After resting on the ocean floor, split asunder and rusting, for nearly three-quarters of a century, a great ship seemed to
Passage Twenty-seven (Analysis and Interpretation of the News) The newspaper must provide for the reader the facts, unalloyed, unslanted, objectively selected facts. But in