1. We can say a lot of things about those _______________ （毕生致力于诗歌的人）: they are passionate, impulsive, and unique.
解析：本句是一个定语从句，先行词是those指代人，因此用who引导； 致力于：devote/dedicate one's life/oneself to sth.
答案：who have devoted/dedicated their lives/themselves to poetry
2. Mary couldn't have received my letter, _______________ （否则她上周就该回信了）.
解析：此题考查考生对虚拟语气的掌握情况。对过去的虚拟我们要使用would/should have done。
答案：or/otherwise she should/would have written back last week.
3. Nancy is supposed to _______________ （做完化学实验）at least two weeks ago.
解析：此题考查的是现在完成时。be supposed to do sth. 是固定用法，但考虑到实验是 "two weeks ago"完成的动作，此处应该用动词不定式的完成时。
答案：have finished the chemical experiment(s)
4. Never once _____________ （老两口互相争吵）since they were married 40 years ago.
解析：此题考查倒装句的使用。英语中表示否定含义的词never, little, seldom, not until, hardly,
no sooner等, 置于句首时主谓结构要用倒装语序，又在since+时间点的句型中，主句要使用完成时。
答案：have the old couple quarreled with each other
5. ____________________ （一个国家未来的繁荣在很大程度上有赖于）the quality of education of its people.
解析：注意高频词：prosperity；此句的考点是主谓一致。"很大程度上"可译作largely, mainly 或to a large/great extent，"有赖于"是 "depend/rest on/upon",这一词组在2007年12月的翻译中也出现过。
答案：The future prosperity of a nation depends/rests largely/mainly on/upon
Passage Twenty-five (Exploration of the Titanic) After resting on the ocean floor, split asunder and rusting, for nearly three-quarters of a century, a great ship seemed to
Passage Twenty-seven (Analysis and Interpretation of the News) The newspaper must provide for the reader the facts, unalloyed, unslanted, objectively selected facts. But in