1. The leading ___ state in the United States is Wisconsin.
A wheat B rice C dairy D maize
2. The city of ___, which was formerly known as Port Jackson, is the place of the earliest colonial settlement in Australia.
A Melbourne B Sydney C Perth D Darwin
3. According to statistics, ___ employer in Australia is the manufacturing industry.
A the fourth largest B the third largest C the second largest D the largest
4. The most important economic activity in Canada is ___.
A mining B fishing C farming D manufacturing
5. Wordsworth’s poetry, divided by the subjects, falls into two major groups: one about ___ and the other about ___..
A nature, human life B society, human nature
C human life, social system D universe, human spirit
6. The reading of the first chapter of the novel Pride and Prejudice has led the reader to the understanding of Mrs. Bennet as a woman of ___.
A simple character and mean understanding
B intricate character and short temper
C simple character and good education
D intricate character and outstanding talents
7. As a romantic poet, William Wordsworth advocated the following EXCEPT ___.
A the expression of the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings
B the use of colloquialism spoken by the masses
C elegant wordings and inflated figures of speech
D the humble and rustic life as subject matter
8. The study of language acquisition is generally known as ___.
A theoretical linguistics B psycholinguistics C applied linguistics D historical linguistics
9. The history of English is usually divided into ___ major periods.
A three B four C five D two
10. The morpheme “scope” in the common word “telescope” is a(n) ___.
A bound morpheme B bound form C inflectional morpheme D free morpheme