1. In Britain, ___ has the ultimate authority of legislation.
A the Queen B the House of Commons C the House of Lords D the Prime Minister
2. The three largest cities in Canada do NOT include.
A Toronto B Quebec C Ottawa D Vancouver
3. Aboriginal culture in Australia is said to be more than ___ years old.
A 20,000 B 30,000 C 40,000 D 50,000
4. It is known that Irish landscape in featured by ___.
A bogs B mountains C grassland D rivers
5. The following plays are comedies by Shakespeare EXCEPT ___.
A A Midsummer Night’s Dream B As You Like It C The Merchant of Venice D Romeo and Juliet
6. “The novel is structured around the discovery of the hero’s origin.” Probably this refers to the novel ___.
A Wuthering Heights B The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
C David Copperfield D Gulliver’s Travels
7. ___ was considered to be the greatest dramatist in the 18th century.
A Henry Fielding B Laurence Sterne C Oliver Goldsmith D Richard B. Sheridan
8. The branch of linguistics that studies how context influences the way speakers interpret sentences is called ___.
9. Which of the following words can connect two clauses in a coordinate sentence?
A Through B When C But D If
10. Which of the following is NOT considered part of semantic change?
A Semantic broadening B Compounding C Semantic narrowing D Semantic shift