1. The representatives of the enlightenment in English literature were the following writers but _____.
A Joseph Addison
B Richard Steele
C William Blake
D Alexander pope
2. Joseph Addison，Richard Steele and Alexander pope belonged to the school of _____.
3. _____ is a didactic poem written in heroic couplets by Alexander pope. It sums up the art of poetry as taught by Aristotle, Horace, Boileau and the 18th century classicists. It tells the poets and critics to write and appreciate poetry according to the principles set up by the old Greek and roman writers.
A the Dunciad
B the rap of the rock
C essay on criticism
D essay on man
4. “The three unites”, formulated by renaissance dramatists, are the unites of the following elements but____.
5. “The father of the English novel” is______.
A Geoffrey Chaucer
B Edmund Spenser
C Francis bacon
D Henry fielding
6. “Tom Jones” was written by___.
A Henry fielding
B Daniel Defoe
C Jonathan swift
D Samuel Richardson
7. Why is Samuel Johnson called “dictionary johnson”?
A because he knows a lot more than other writers in words
B because he often consults an encyclopedia while writing.
C because he is a master of English language
D because he is the author of the first English dictionary.
8. The school for scandal is a ____written by____.
A tragedy. Richard Brimley Sheridan
B comedy…Richard Brimley Sheridan
C comedy…Samuel Johnson
D tragedy…samuel Johnson
9. Oliver goldsmith’s “the deserted village” is a poem of ____.
10. Oliver goldsmith’s “the citizen of world” was originally published as____.
A English letters
B Chinese letters
C French letters
D American letters