FURTHER economic strife may be ahead as a swathe of recently released data points to a slowdown in the world economy. This is confirmed by one alternative measure: the amount of cargo passing through the Suez Canal in Egypt. Approximately 8% of the world's international trade is estimated to flow through the canal, so it acts as a good early indicator of the prevailing economic conditions. The average increase in the total weight of cargo passing through the canal was 5.7% in the three months to July, down from 9.5% in December. Making a simple forecast based on the past few months' data suggests that world GDP will fall from 3.8% in the first quarter to 3.3% in the second quarter.
1. slowdown：n. 降低速度, 减速
The speed of economic slowdown in Asia also makes people worry.
2. approximately： 可以替代about，around 或者more or less。
3. be estimated 可以用于对未来的预测。可用be predicted 替换。
4. average increase： increase可以用做名词可以用做动词。
5. down from： 可以在前句先列出一个数据，后者如果数据比前者少就down from，如果后者多，用up from。
6. make a simple forecast：对于未来数据的预测的套话。