1. The study of __ is Syntax.
A. textual organization B. sentence structures
C. word formation D. language functions
2. Which of the following is NOT a distinctive feature of human language?
A. arbitrariness B. productivity
C. cultural transmission D. finiteness
3. The speech act theory was first put forward by__.
A. John Scarl B. Johan Austin
C. Noarn Chomsky D. M.A.K Halliday
4. The capital city of Canada is __.
A. Montreal B. Ottawa
C. Vancouver D. York
5. U.S. presidents normally serve a (an) __ term.
A. eight-year B. four-year
C. six-year D. two year
6. Which of the following cities is NOT located in the Northeast, U.S.
A Huston B. Baltimore
C Philadelphia D. Boston
7. The state church in England is __.
A. The Baptist B. The Roman Catholic
C. The Protestant Church D. The Church of England
8. The novel Emma is written by__.
A. Jane Austen B. Elizabeth
C. Gaskell C Charlotte Bronte D. Mary Shelley
9. Which of the following is not a Romantic Poet?
A. William Wordsworth B. Percy B. Shelley
C. George G. Byron D. George Eliot
10. William Sidney Porter, known as O.Henry, is most famous for __.
A. his poem B. his plays
C. His novels D. his short stories