39. The manager lost his _B_ just because his secretary was ten minutes late.
A mood B temper C mind D passion
lose one’s temper 发脾气。
40. Great as Newton was, many of his ideas _C_ today and are being modified by the work of scientists of our time.
A are to challenge B may be challenged C have been challenged D are challenging
41. Please be careful when you are drinking coffee in case you _D_ the new carpet.
A crash B pollute C spot D stain
pollute vt. 污染； spot n. 地点，场所，斑点，污点；v. 使…上有斑点、污点。
spotted dog 斑点狗。 stain v. 弄脏，玷污，染色。
59. The tomato juice left brown _A_ on the front of my jacket.
A spot B point C track D trace
42. I'd rather read than watch television; the programs seem _B_ all the time.
A to get worse B to be getting worse C to have got worse D getting worse
all the time 始终，一直。
43. Convenience foods which are already prepared for cooking are _D_ in grocery stores.
A ready B approachable C probable D available
convenience foods 方便食品； instant coffee/noodle 速容咖啡/速食面。
ready adj. 准备好的； approachable adj. 可接近的，平易近人的，亲切的。
probable adj. 可能的； available adj. 可获得的，可利用的，可支配的。
44. When I caught him _A_ I stopped buying things there and started dealing with another shop.
A cheating B cheat C to cheat D to be cheating
45. It is important that enough money _A_ to fund the project.
A be collected B must be collected C was collected D can be collected
46. Some old people don't like pop songs because they can't _C_ so much noise.
A resist B sustain C tolerate D undergo
tolerate vt. 忍受，容忍； undergo vt. 经历，遭受。
48. _C_ one time, Manchester was the home of the most productive cotton mills in the world. [at one time 曾经，一度]
A On B By C At D Of
49. _A_ it or not, his discovery has created a stir in scientific circles.
A Believe B To believe C Believing D Believed
believe it or not 信不信由你。 creat a stir 引起轰动。
50. Mr. Morgan can be very sad _C_, though in public he is extremely cheerful.
A by himself B in person C in private D as individual
in public 在公众面前； in private 私下单独一个人的时候。
Provide a Better Life for Senior Citizens Now we have a growing population of senior citizens. To ensure happy lives for them has become a focus of attention. Our traditiona
Passage Twenty-five (Exploration of the Titanic) After resting on the ocean floor, split asunder and rusting, for nearly three-quarters of a century, a great ship seemed to