32. You cannot be _B_ careful when you drive a car.
A very B too C so D enough
cannot too 在…也不为过，越…越好。
34. Every man in this country has the right to live where he wants to _A_ the color of his skin. [regardless of 不管，不顾]
A regardless of B in the light of C by virtue of D with the exception of
35. Housewives who do not go out to work feel they are not working to their full _B_.
A strength B capacity C length D possibility
strength n. 力量，体力，实力； capacity n. 才能，才智（能力方面）。
38. The old couple decided to _C_ a boy and a girl though they had three of their own.
A adapt B bring C adopt D receive
39. The government is trying to do something to _D_ better understanding between the two countries.
A raise B increase C heighten D promote
promote better understanding 增进理解。
40. The newspaper did not mention the _A_ of the damage caused by the fire.
A extent B level C range D quantity
41. The soldier was _A_ of running away when the enemy attacked.
A accused B charged C scolded D punished
be accused of 被指控，被职责； be charged with 被指控。
42. Had he worked harder, he _D_ the exams.
A must have got through B could get through
C would get through D would have got through
had he worked harder (虚拟语气) = if he had worked harder …
与过去事实相反用：情态动词 + have + 动词的过去分词。
45. It seems oil _B_ from this pipe for some time. We'll have to take the machine apart to put it right.
A had leaked B has been leaking C leaked D is leaking
for + 一段时间，做时间状语，谓语动词用完成时态。过去完成时要与一般过去时搭配。
46. When he arrived, he found _C_ the aged and the sick at home.
A nothing but B none other C none but D no other than
形容词前加the表示一类人。 none but 只有，仅有。
47. The pressure _B_ causes Americans to be energetic, but it also puts them under a constant emotional strain.
A competing B to compete C to be competed D having competed
the right to vote 选举权。 动词不定式作后置定语要用主动形式。
the pressure to compete 竞争的压力。
49. As teachers we should concern ourselves with what is said, not what we think _C_.
A have to be said B must say C ought to be said D need to say
50. Once environmental damage _A_, it takes many years for the system to recover.
A is done B is to do C does D has done
51. Studies show that the things that contribute most to a sense of happiness cannot be bought, _B_ a good family life, friendship and work satisfaction.
A as for B such as C in case of D in view of
contribute to 对…做出贡献。
52. He will agree to do what you require _D_ him.
A for B from C to D of
require sth. of sb. 要求某人做某事。
53. The mere fact _A_ most people believe nuclear war would be madness does not mean that it will not occur.
A that B which C what D why
54. John seems nice person. _C_, I don't trust him.
A Even though B Therefore C Even so D Though
even so 即便如此，尽管如此。
55. I don't think it advisable that Tom _A_ to the job since he has no experience.
A be assigned B will be assigned C is assigned D has been assigned
56. _D_, a man who expresses himself effectively is sure to succeed more rapidly than a man whose command of language is poor.
A Other things to be equal B Were other things equal
C To be equal to other things D Other things being equal
B项如果不省略if应为：If other things were equal
other things being equal 在这里是独立主格做条件状语。
57. _C_ that my head had cleared, my brain was also beginning to work much better.
A For B Since C Now D Despite
1 in that 由于，因为； 2 now that 既然，由于； 3 except that 除了…之外。
59. By 1929, Mickey Mouse was as popular _B_ children as Coca-Cola.
A for B with C to D in
be popular with + 人的群体 受…欢迎。
60. Because Edgar was convinced of the accuracy of this fact, he _A_ his opinion.
A stuck to B strove for C stuck at D stood for
be convinced of 深信，确信； stick to 坚持； strive for 力求，拼命争取。
Don’t strive for perfection. 不要凡是都力求达到完美状态。
Provide a Better Life for Senior Citizens Now we have a growing population of senior citizens. To ensure happy lives for them has become a focus of attention. Our traditiona
Passage Twenty-five (Exploration of the Titanic) After resting on the ocean floor, split asunder and rusting, for nearly three-quarters of a century, a great ship seemed to